my traveling sandwich












i just got back from a wonderful beach vacation with my husbands family.  we didn't leave until 10:00 am on saturday, so lunch was a decision that needed serious consideration.  the thought of eating fast food makes me nauseous, but the thought of not eating lunch makes me even more nauseous. so i packed this sandwich.  my favorite sandwich.  prosciutto, fresh mozzarella, tomato, basil, on a toasted baguette.  i was so excited about eating this i think i talked about for the first 30 minutes of our road trip.  the conversation went a little like this.  me:  "ready for lunch?"  him:  "no".  me:  "why not?".  him:  "it's 10:15".  me:  "so".  him:  "we just ate breakfast".  me:  "oh yea,  but it's going to be really good".  him:  ""i know, but it's still 10:15".  me:  "fine". i let it rest for a while, and what seemed to be hours i asked again... "ready for lunch?"  him:  "no".  me:  "why not?".  him:  "it's 10:30".  me:  "well, i'm eating mine".  him:  "good for you".
i was looking so forward to this sandwich that i honestly could not think about anything else. so, i decided i was going to eat mine.  i opened up my foil wrapped sandwich, opened up a bottle of water, laid a paper towel on my lap, and was about to have my own little picnic.  what happened next will never happen again.  i made a dreadful mistake.  i placed the mozzarella so that it hung over the bread and had contact with it.  the bread in places was soggy.  i almost started to cry. i'm not kidding.  (my stomach just flipped thinking about it.)  i loathe soggy bread.  i could bore you with the conversation that followed between brian and myself, but i won't.  i was whining at this point, nothing appealing about that.  long story short, he offered to give me his sandwich, but his bread was soggy too.  (otherwise,  i would have taken him up on it).  i ended up taking the top off and eating an "open face" sandwich.  it sucked.  oh well, it happens.