home grown


Posted by Picasa
why is it that home grown tomatoes taste superior to what you buy at the grocery store?  seriously, it's as if they are two different fruits.  (i hate referring to tomatoes as a fruit, i want them to be a vegetable.  they should be a vegetable.)  my tomatoes just started to turn red last week and i have been gobbling them up.  i am growing both grape and roma tomatoes,  my two favorites.  i had a few slices leftover from a baguette that i almost threw out last night, but remembered all the tomatoes in my garden that were begging to be eaten.  i wish i had more bread, because i would have made this my meal.  the tomatoes where unbelievable.  i also picked some basil from my garden and made a simple bruschetta.  i grilled the baguette slices, then rubbed them all over with garlic.  in a small bowl i mixed diced tomatoes, chopped fresh ciliegine mozzarella (they are the size of a gumball - usually referred to as "cherry size"), chopped basil, salt, and pepper.  mound the mixture as high as you can get it on the bread slices and enjoy.  this is what summer taste like to me.